The Breaking of the Glass is a Jewish tradition with many meanings.
The Breaking of the Glass is . . .
1. a symbol of the destruction of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.
2. a reminder of the tragic losses the Jewish people have suffered.
3. a reminder that, even amidst joy, a broken world still needs our attention and people less
fortunate still require our care.
4. a reminder not only of sorrow, but also an expression of hope for a future free from all
violence and hatred.
5. a representation of the fragility of human relationships.
6. a reminder that marriage changes the lives of individuals forever.